Claims and Appeals
If you believe that you have already returned, have never borrowed, or have lost a Library item that is still listed as on loan to you, firstly look for the items again.
- amongst your belongings including your bookcases, bags and boxes,
- in desks, study or work locations,
- in your car,
- with friends, family, students or colleagues, and
- with other libraries you use, such as public libraries or other university libraries.
If you find the items, please return them to the library as soon as possible.
If the items are still not found, please complete the Claims Form, providing as many details as possible.
Items claimed as returned or never borrowed will be searched for four times over a four week period. Items claimed as lost will be searched for once. If the item is not found, options for replacement of the item will be emailed to you. Failure to respond will result in a replacement cost account being issued.
If the item is overdue before the Claims Form is submitted, you are responsible for overdue fines up to the day the form is submitted and/or the item is returned.
Please note: Once an item is paid for, the Library will not issue refunds for any fees, if the item is subsequently found.
If you are unable to return your Library items on time due to illness or other circumstances, or you anticipate difficulty paying your fines, email email@example.com with the details of your grounds for appeal. You may need supporting documentation such as a medical certificate.
We will consider all legitimate concerns about library fines. We may not consider the following reasons as grounds for appeal:
- Lack of knowledge of library rules and policies,
- Forgetting the due date,
- Not receiving library reminders, either via email or in the mail,
- Overseas travel, including conferences,
- Semester breaks, holidays or on placement,
- Disagreement with library fine policy,
- Returning items to another library by mistake,
If you have any queries about claims or appeals please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If an item is stolen while on campus, report the incident to the Safer Community Team on +618 9266 4444, in other circumstances, lodge a police report. If your Library items have been stolen, submit a Claims Form including the Police/Safer Community Team report number.
Items reported as stolen will be searched for in the library four times over a four week period. Library staff will be in contact at the end of this time.